Please send info on the following: The Orcia Valley Wine Route. Maria Teresa, Delaware, USA.
If you are looking for directions along the Orcia Valley Wine Route, make sure you ask for La Strada del Vino Orcia.
And don't forget that this is one to do by car, or at the very least by bike. We have witnessed pitiful sights of straggly people walking the Val d'Orcia between such towns as Radicofani and Castiglione d'Orcia.
Although the classic Tuscan scenery is stunning, the distances are huge and you will be baked like cotto toscano if you decide to hike it in summer. And how do you keep the wine at the right temperature?
The wine route takes in the towns of Abbadia San Salvatore, Buonconvento, Montalcino, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, San Casciano dei Bagni, San Giovanni d'Asso, San Quirico d'Orcia, Sarteano, Torrita di Siena, Trequanda and the two above.
Around 70 cantine and wine producers form the route with the most famous being the Brunello di Montalcino producing Fattoria del Colle of Dontatella Cinelli Colombini at Trequanda. But there are many more fine producers to discover.
The types of DOC wines to be tasted are Orcia Rosso, Orcia Novello, Orcia Bianco and Orcia Vinsanto. The first on the list must be a minimum of 60% Sangiovese grape. The other 40% must be authorised and cannot be aromatic.
Around 12% vol, the wine is put on the market from the 1st March the following year.
See also Wine routes in Tuscany