If you are looking for demanding bike or cycle itineraries in Italy at any time of the year, then why not try one of the stages of the recent Giro d'Italia race.
From Umbria to Tuscany by Bicycle
Very punishing for professionals and almost certainly impossible for once a year tourists. But divide each stage with a big lunch and a couple of stopovers and you may just be taken to zones of Italy rarely visited.
In fact, much of the Italian cycle race is off the main roads and winds through secondary Appenine routes and local lanes. For example, the longest stage of the 2007 Giro d'Italia was the 254 km route from Spoleto to Scarperia in Tuscany.
The route is below, with an indication of distances covered:
- Spoleto - Bastardo (21.9)
- Marsciano (48.5)
- Mugnano (71)
- Lake Trasimeno Borghetto (100)
- Cortona - Castiglion Fiorentino (121.9)
- Arezzo (138.5)
- Bibbiena (170.3)
- Stia (186,4)
- Valico Croce a Mori (198.9 & 955 meters above sea level)
- Dicomano (220.3)
- Borgo San Lorenzo - Scarperia (244.2
One thing you won't be able to do on this stretch is finish the itinerary as the competitors of the 2007 Tour. The riders completed the stage with a lap of the Mugello motor racing circuit.
Choose Your Region
Click on icons for Accommodation, Restaurants and Tours in Umbria region
Our articles about Umbria below.
• black truffle sauce • farro soup • pigeon recipe • pinoccata • fish soup • arvoltoli • chocolate fondue • maccheroni pasta with nuts • fennel and orange salad • tagliatelle pasta • duck breast • spring vegetables • fresh strawberry cream • gnocchi with walnuts • cheese mousse • rocciata di assisi • ham and cheese pie • beans and pork pasta • roast veal and cream • gnocchi with duck • cod with prunes • pork with plum syrup • rabbit • crescia al formaggio • onion soup • lamb with saffron • mushroom pie
• porchetta event • sagrantino di montefalco wine • olive presses open weekend • picnic in umbria • truffle market • umbria truffle festivals • eurochocolate perugia • castelluccio lentils • norcia ham • first course festival • dishes of todi • caciotta cheese • olive trees of umbria • norcia salumi • umbria easter breakfast • spring menu • orvieto con gusto • lake trasimeno
• walking tour perugia • umbria by bicycle • umbria wine routes • sagrantino di montefalco • cantico wine route • spoleto hills itinerary • umbertide • valnerina • stroncone • corciano • industrial terni • todi • orvieto • lake trasimeno • assisi • gubbio • montone • guide to perugia • amelia • il perugino • spoleto festival • saint valentine