Sicily Off Road are specialists in 4x4 guided tours of Mount Etna with excursions departing from Taormina, Giardini Naxos, Catania, Messina, Acireale.
Sicily Off Road is also specialised in shore excursions from the main tourist ports of West Sicily such as Catania, Messina, Giardini Naxos and Riposto.
Based in Catania, they are now recognised as the leaders in their field and can take the independent visitor to Sicily on many different excursions to Europe's most active volcano, as well as other beautiful parts of the island.
The best tours proposed by the company last a full day and have the following program:
- Departure from your hotel in Taormina/Catania or surroundings at 8.30/8.45 a.m. to reach the Northern side of Etna.
- Drive up an old lava flow by 4wd jeep. Stop to enjoy the beautiful panorama of the "Bove Valley" at Monte Fontana (1300 m a.s.l. - the most important geological site of Mt.Etna).
- Visit a cave originated by prehistoric lava flows (1550 m.a.s.l - 10.000 years old) with helmets, lamps and rope. Trekking (about 1 h ) around old Sartorius secondary craters dating back from 1865.
- Visit the lava flow originated from Piano Provenzana in 2002 (the last important eruption of the Etna volcano) and the old street.
- Picnic/lunch stop by a mt. Etna refuge/restaurant.
- In the afternoon the tour continues to reach the two little towns of Linguaglossa and Castiglione di Sicilia to Alcantara River Park.
Walk down to the Alcantara Gorges (the most beautiful gorges of Sicily) for a short trekking to admire basalt columns formation and relax. Return to the hotel around 17.30 pm."
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS INCLUDED
All clients are picked up directly from their hotel or accommodation.
The tours depart every day except Sunday.
Clients are accompanied for the full duration of a tour by an authorised and fully licensed guide who is not only multilingual but an expert in volcanoes.
Group sizes are typically small, from 2-3 vehicles for a maximum of 12-18 people.
It is also possible to reserve a private excursion with a single vehicle and your own guide.
Tours can depart for half a day and even at sunset.
Large groups can also be catered for with personalized itineraries and complementary activities such as quad, mountain biking, horse and donky rides or activities for team building such as orienteering, photo hunt, etc.
Also included is lunch in an agriturismo, mountain refuge, pic-nic, tasting of typical wines of Etna and visit to the cantinas of the Etna wine road.